Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

This is the story of Carolyn Jessop who at 19 was married off to 54 year old Meril Jessop. She was his 4th wife. This is an amazing look into the FLDS church. She tells about her childhood and her absolute faith in her prophet and it follows her as she loses her faith and the changes that occur in her life. I started reading at 2:00 PM and finished by 11:45 PM. I could not put it down. It is an amzing tale that seems like it is fiction but it is the real life story of her struggle to keep herself and her eight children safe.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I just finished this book. It is an amazing story, with some somewhat alarming insights into the FLDS religion. I did think it wasn't incredibly well written, and I sometimes have a hard time with believing everything someone writes in a memoir. I always tend to think that they exagerate. But with that said, it is still an incredible story and worth the read.

Di~ said...

This was a book that I had a hard time putting down. Carolyn was so strong of character, even at the young age of 18. I would love the opportunity to talk person to person to her.