Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose



I read this book too many years ago to give a good summary so I am stealing from Amazon:

"A biography of Meriwether Lewis that relies heavily on the journals of both Lewis and Clark, this book is also backed up by the author's personal travels along Lewis and Clark's route to the Pacific. Ambrose is not content to simply chronicle the events of the "Corps of Discovery" as the explorers called their ventures. He often pauses to assess the military leadership of Lewis and Clark, how they negotiated with various native peoples and what they reported to Jefferson. Though the expedition failed to find Jefferson's hoped for water route to the Pacific, it fired interest among fur traders and other Americans, changing the face of the West forever."

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The story is captivating and truly an adventure. I am a big fan of Stephen Ambrose.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I've not read it but this is one of my husbands all time favorite books.

Nancy said...

I found this blog through Maren, and I really like it, and I think it would be fun to contribute. However I tried to e-mail the posted address and my e-mail was sent back. Let me know if there something else I can do.

Nikki said...

Stephen Ambrose, along with David McCullough, is one of the most prolific historical writers of our time. His high-volume output earned him the nickname "history factory", but I still think he should be applauded for making history accessible (and mostly readable) for the general public. I highly recommend you read at least one of his books. Pick one, any one -there are dozens of historical events and topics to chose from!