Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bridget Jones Diary and Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding

Okay, first I need to say, do not judge these books based on the movies.  I absolutely loved these books ( The Edge of Reason was one of the worst movies of all time in my opinion, they absolutely slaughtered the book).  
Why do I love them so much?
First Bridget is a wonderful, quirky character.  I love her.  I love her friends.  I love how they are muddling through life as best they can.  I love her funny parents and their friends who are also just muddling through the best they can.  Just like we all are.  I love the style of writing.  I love the way she keeps track of her alcohol units, weight, calories, and cigarrettes.  I love it.  I love it. I love it.  I laughed so hard  as I read these books.
Also as a huge fan of Jane Austen, I loved these books. Helen Fielding is also an Austen fan.  Bridget Jones Diary is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice and Edge of Reason is a modern take on Persuasion.  
I have read and re-read these books.  Very entertaining and I love them.
Warning: they do contain language and some "adult themes".

2 comments:

Challey said...

Love, love, loved this book. Hilarious. I loved the second one as much too. They were both laugh out loud for me. I am so glad to not be single.

Diana Beck McCarty said...

One of my favorites!
Just as a warning: language is an issue here. If you don't like cussing you might wanna say away.