Friday, March 21, 2008

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

If you have never read Steinbeck I can only feel very sad for you.  If you have only read Steinbeck as a school assignment and not out of appreciation for the man's genius or out of sheer enjoyment I am afraid I can only pity you.  Steinbeck is one of my all time favorite authors.  That man is a word magician and the best story teller I've encountered.  I love all of his novels, and when I was first married I think I read almost every one of his novels.  I can't pick a favorite, but East of Eden was absolutely amazing.  It is the modern tale of Cain and Able.  Eden, as in all Steinbeck novels, is California.  It is an amazing story, wonderfully written, and completely absorbing.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I must admit I am one of those unfortunate ones who had Steinbeck hoisted on me by English teachers, and hated it. I am excited to pick him up again and see if I can't discover what I might like about him. Thanks for the push... :)

Diana Beck McCarty said...

I don't know why it took me so long to read this but I'm thrilled to say I finally did--and LOVED it!