Friday, March 21, 2008

Seraph On The Suwanee by Zora Neale Hurston

I have read this book a couple of times because I love how it is written, and I love the authors message.  It is the story (I hope I don't mess this up.  I haven't picked it up in a few years) of a "cracker" couple.  Cracker for those not from the Jim Crow South is a White Trash white couple.  The husband falls in love with his wife and works hard to provide her with the life he feels she deserves.  They end up living in a beautiful home, and have two beautiful children (that represent the husband) and one child that has mental and physical disabilities that the wife identifies herself with.  Anyway, after a life time of the husband trying to prove his love to his wife, she still can't shake her insecurity.  She simply can't believe that her husband could love her, until he finally forces her to understand.  It is a great story and the message is relevant and important.  I also read Hurston's famous Their Eyes Were Watching God, but Seraph really is my favorite.  Zora Neale Hurston has an interesting history as well.  If you read the book take the time to learn a little about her.

3 comments:

AnneMarie said...

One of my favorite books! Beautiful and poignant.

AnneMarie said...

Didn't we read this for that book club that we tried to have?

Anna said...

AnneMarie, yes, I think we did.