Friday, February 29, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver


I read this book last spring and was really inspired. This is a non-fiction book by one of my favorite fiction writers. Barbara Kingsolver and her family decide, in the name of being more environmentally responsible to eat, for a year, only the food they raise or purchase within a 10 mile radius of their home. It is incredible. They opt out of the traditional food chain we all belong to. They eat abundantly and become incredibly self-reliant. I was motivated, to say the least, to try and expand my gardening repetoire and to learn how to can and preserve my food so that I can enjoy my garden year round and be a little more eco-friendly in my eating habits. If nothing else it is a fun read to see how their kitchen is drowning in zucchini and squash and tomatoes around August.

No comments: