Friday, February 1, 2008

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers


Written in 1940, this novel centers around several characters living in a 1930s mill town in Georgia. Specifically it follows a deaf-mute man and how the different characters interact with him. I was fascinated how, because this man could not speak, each character projected on him their own impressions and desires of what his feelings were. I thought this book was interesting - a lot of irony - but also a little dark and depressing. A good read none the less. Come to find out - there was actually a movie made from this novel in 1968 starring Alan Arkin and Sondra Locke (both received Oscar nominations for their performances). I will have check this out!

2 comments:

Jennette said...

This looks great. I'm thrilled to have this blog as a reference and discussion place. Thanks, gals!

millie said...

Thanks Emily for this recommendation. I had started this book about eight years ago, but I never spent much time reading. I have gotten better and I really enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see the story from the 4 different perspectives and look at the various types of loneliness.