Monday, February 11, 2008

Interpreter of Maladies


I'm have a serious weakness for short stories and an infatuation with India (or at least Indian cuisine and culture since I've never actually been there....just watch Monsoon Wedding and you'll know where this is coming from), so I couldn't really go wrong with this Pulitzer prize winning collection of short stories by the author of The Namesake. I found the book extremely well writen and lush in detail and setting with very vivid characters and stories. I was sorry to see the end of the book when it came. It was like eating a box of chocolates where each one is different, but equally delightful. The title comes from a character whose job it is to interpret for a doctor living in a village who doesn't speak the language of the villagers. Doesn't that sound interesting already?


p.s. However, didn't really like The Namesake.

3 comments:

Kip said...

I agree that this is a terrific read! Amazingly, this is Lahiri's first book, and yet it won the Pulitzer Prize. The stories are engaging and well-written. I was particularly fascinated by Lahiri’s characters, who, in very interesting ways, struggle with issues of cultural and personal identity. Although, like Jeanette, I don’t know a lot about India, I still found the book intriguing and thought-provoking. It's been awhile since I read the stories, so I can't remember a lot of details, but I enjoyed them so much that I read the author's subsequent novel (which I liked, though not as much as Interpreter of Maladies), and I've pre-ordered her upcoming collection of stories. I don't know if this book is for everyone, but I loved it!

Diana Beck McCarty said...

I picked this book up after reading this post and I really loved it!
Highly recommended.

Anna said...

I just finished, and I think she is an amazing author, and the stories and glimpses into her characters lives are fascinating. But be warned her theme of personal isolation is DEPRESSING! It is excellent but not a happy read.