Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan


In this ambitious debut novel, fact and fiction blend together brilliantly. While scholars have largely relegated Mamah to a footnote in the life of America’s greatest architect, author Nancy Horan gives full weight to their dramatic love story and illuminates Cheney’s profound influence on Wright. 



Drawing on years of research, Horan weaves little-known facts into a compelling narrative, vividly portraying the conflicts and struggles of a woman forced to choose between the roles of mother, wife, lover, and intellectual. Horan’s Mamah is a woman seeking to find her own place, her own creative calling in the world. Mamah’s is an unforgettable journey marked by choices that reshape her notions of love and responsibility, leading inexorably ultimately lead to this novel’s stunning conclusion. 


"Well, I must agree that Loving Frank is an excellent choice for a book club. I could talk about this book for a couple of weeks! I disliked the main characters from the start of the book. Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah were two very selfish people! Having said that...I couldn't put the book down. The writing is wonderful and the ending hit me right between the eyes. My husband is a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's work and I caught him scanning the book several times. :o) I am researching non-fiction books on Wright's personal life. Thank you for sending the book. I know my book club will be reading this one!"
—Glenda Spivey, Prima Divas, Tupelo, MS

Robert Twombly, author, description of Mamah: "She was a noble woman who valued her freedom more than motherhood, wifehood, or chastity, and who had the courage to live by her convictions." Frank Lloyd Wright: An Interpretive Biography, page 136.
(Excerpts from the Loving Frank website)
I loved this book even though the main character was selfish in my opinion. It is an interesting story that lots of people do not know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stopped reading this after the first few chapters. I don't need to read a book based on a shallow love affair. Way too common. Just turn on the TV or go to a movie.