Friday, April 25, 2008

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Whew, I will never ever ever ever ever ever eat fast food again, and if you love fast food and don't want to give it up don't read this book.  Okay, this book was totally fascinating.  It was kind of long and I thought it would take me a few weeks to plow through, but it read very easily and was very interesting.  It has loads of information in it.  One of the most interesting parts of the book was the history of fast food and Ray Kroc (McD's founder) and Walt Disney.  The book covers the history of the industries involved with fast food, the workers, the meatpackers, the processors, the ranchers, e coli, advertising to children, and much more.  It has some truly important things to say and will definitely raise the bar on your social awareness.  I really do recommend this book to anyone.  

1 comment:

Kip said...

I really liked this book as well. Very readable and filled with lots of fascinating details. As Ana points out, the book isn't just about the health effects of fast food. It describes the cultural effects as well. I learned a lot of things that I hadn't known before. Yes, Schlosser does make you think pretty hard about whether you want to eat fast food again. I have a coworker who read the book and hasn't eaten meat since. However, I read it and I still go to fast food establishments on occasion. I don't go a lot and didn't that much before I read the book. But I still enjoy a hamburger or a Subway sandwich every now and then. I just have to push some of the details of this book out of my mind when I do ;-). Still, I do think it's important to be educated about how we interact with the natural, political, and cultural environments in which we live.