Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Devil in the White City By Erik Larson


Their fates were linked by the magical Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, nicknamed the “White City” for its majestic beauty. Architect Daniel Burnham built it; serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes used it to lure victims to his World’s Fair Hotel, designed for murder. Both men left behind them a powerful legacy, one of brilliance and energy, the other of sorrow and darkness.

Here, then, is your ticket to the greatest fair in history—a place where incredible dreams came to life alongside darkest nightmares.

Bringing Chicago circa 1893 to vivid life, Erik Larson's spellbinding bestseller intertwines the true tale of two men--the brilliant architect behind the legendary 1893 World's Fair, striving to secure America's place in the world; and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Combining meticulous research with nail-biting storytelling, Erik Larson has crafted a narrative with all the wonder of newly discovered history and the thrills of the best fiction. ( Excerpts from the Devil in the White city website)

I loved this book. Two story's play out every other chapter and I found both fascinating.

5 comments:

Diana Beck McCarty said...

I truly love this book. So interesting and creepy too!

Anna said...

I couldn't finish it because it really and truly creeped me out. I think that I get scared by scary true stories pretty easily. I should try it again.

AnneMarie said...

This was a well written, very creepy story. So scary how twisted the minds of some are!

Emily Warner Eskelsen said...

This book was actually a disappointment to me, I think because it came so close to being a really really good book, but stopped short. I think the author did a great job of creating the characters: the ailing landscape architect with a driving work ethic, the fair itself as a growing phenomenon, the creator and the destroyer. But just when he had the opportunity to DO something with the characters, I felt like he backed off. Particularly disappointing was his final treatments of the killer-- he began towards the end to explore his feelings about killing, and then decided to pause in between academic analysis and titillation, leaving the reader unsure which was his aim. I felt like he did some wonderful research, painted a few fascinating characters, set them in juxtaposition, and then didn't take the final step in telling a story: having a reason. It left me feeling that my interest had been piqued by violence and history, but had not been taught.

Nancy said...

I liked this book for it's historical context and that the author based it all in fact. I had never heard anything about the 1893 World's Fair and all the interesting details. It did have creep elements, but they weren't as bad as I was expeting.