Thursday, April 10, 2008

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin


I know this is a fairly widely read book, but I wanted to post about it anyway.  This is the true story of an amazing man, Greg Mortenson.  After an unsuccesful attempt at summiting k2 in Northern Pakistan, Greg wanders into the little village of Korphe, where the good people take him in.  He feels indebted to the village and when he sees that the girls have to sit outside for their school vows to return to the village to build a school.  So begins his life mission of forming family-like relationships with the tribes of Afgahanistan and Northern Pakistan, people who have little to no education and have been ignored by their governments, building schools, and fighting terrorism and ignorance in the only way possible: through education and friendship.  It is a great and inspiring story.  People that see a need and fulfill it and make a huge difference by following their gut really inspire me.  

2 comments:

AnneMarie said...

O.K. This is my favorite book ever! I am so inspired by Greg. He did not know how or with what money he would go about building these schools, he just started doing, something I always feel I need to do more of. I love that he sees people with his heart which allows him to bypass all the prejudices etc. that tend to weigh us down.
If you buy this book through the www.threecupsoftea.com website 7% of your purchase benefits a girl's education scholarship fund in Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Nancy said...

Wow! I just created a whole post about this book and then thought, oh I'd better check and see if anyone else has posted it yet, and here it is. So I'll just post what I would have said in this comment.

Three Cups of Tea is not normally the type of book that I would read, or truly enjoy reading, but I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked it. The story is incredible and the obstacle and barriers that Mortenson faces are immense. And yet somehow he is able to overcome them all, build dozens of schools and earn the respect of people who generally distrust Americans. The best part of the book for me was the light shed on terrorism and September 11th. In a small way I understand better what happened, why it happened, why we are still involved in the conflict and how small actions can often change the tides of war.
For more information:
https://www.ikat.org/
http://www.gregmortenson.com/