Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.
from http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/thehost.html


I read this in about two days. It is not the best book ever written, but, I like it. I thought it was entertaining. It is not too sci-fi and I think it is better writing then Twilight. It is a fun read if you don't expect too much.

4 comments:

Diana Beck McCarty said...

I read it in about two days as well. I liked it a lot but, you're right, it's not the best book ever but I'd recommend it.

Becky said...

I disagree, I think it is one of the best books because it combines romance, sci fi, and politics. I think that it is very intriguing to see the world from a foreign point of view. It also really says something about the state of humanity. We really are quite a violent race. I loved this book! It is one that can be read again and again.

Mindi said...

Didn't love it. Then again, I didn't love the Twilight series either. They are just beach reads for me, slightly entertaining, but no depth. I don't think she is a great author at all, and sometimes her love triangles really hit my gag reflex. In the beginning of the book I thought it had potential, but I kept waiting and waiting...nothing new, entirely too predictable as with her other books

Nancy said...

I thought the best part about this book was the view from the invaders eyes. I've read a lot of sci-fi and have never found a good "alien" perspective. I thought it was real good. Plus I liked how she pulled off the ending.