Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

If you haven't heard, The Graveyard Book is the newest winner of the Newberry Medal. And now that I've read it I can say it was well deserved. I thought this was a fabulous book and Gaiman has an incredible writing style.

The story is about a little boy, whose family is murdered but he escapes with a little luck and some help from the ghosts in the local cemetery. Nobody Owens, Bod, grows up in the graveyard learning the ways of the dead, protected from the murderer that is still searching for him. However there are other dangers that Bod encounters, including the Indigo Man, a Ghoul Gate and the mysterious Sleer. He has help along the way, from his guardian Silas, a witch's ghost and a living girl named Scarlett.

Note: If you like Gaiman's tales, you might also be interested in the movie that is out right now called Coraline, based on his children's book.

3 comments:

Jennette said...

I just read this book and really liked it. It was the first thing I'd read by Neil Gaiman, but I'm looking forward to trying more.

I ended up recommending it to my husband as well, who also really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

My husband and my 8yo daughter and I just read Coraline in anticipation of the movie. We all really liked it; it's a very intriguing and imaginative story.

Maren said...

I liked it! It was a bit slow for me at times, but, I did read most of it at the gym!