Friday, January 30, 2009

Roomates Wanted by Lisa Jewell

Lately I have been reading serious and somewhat heavy books.  I needed a breather.  I picked this one up at the library the other day.   This one hit the spot.  It is a story about a sort of loser guy named Toby whose father gives him a large if somewhat delapitated old Victorian home in North London. After his wife leaves him, Toby decides to advertise for roommates and picks people who need some help (struggling artist, homeless teen, etc.).  Anyway fifteen years pass, and suddenly, after the death of his sitting tenant (In Britain you can't kick out a resident that occupied a place before you bought it) and meeting his cute and spunky across the way neighbor Toby basically decides to get a life.  He fixes up the house, tries to fix his tenants and help them move on with their lives.  In the process he falls in love and finally moves on with his life.  It was a great light read.  Not too fluffy, but just fluffy enough.  In many ways this book seemed like a gentler, kinder version of Nick Hornby (one of my favs).  Quirky characters, London, and a fun twisty plot.

Some language and adult scenes/themes.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I would like to join this blog. What a great idea!! This also sounds like a great book!

Maren said...

I also enjoyed this book! I thought it was a fun story and an interesting way to tell it.

Anonymous said...

It was a very fun read. Enjoyed the characters and some of the descriptions. There is some language, so beware. I would highly recommend it--very Nick Hornby-esq.