Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wild Swans, Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang


With China so much in the headlines this would be a great time to pick this book up.  It is an amazing story of three generations of women and simultaneously the history of China in the 20th century.  The story is amazing and totally gripping.  One reviewer said, "Wild Swans is a riveting account of the impact of history on the lives of women.  This is a powerful, moving, at times shocking story of three generations of Chinese women...."  I would definitely consider this book in the category of must-read.  It will really open your eyes.

2 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Absolutely loved this book! I could not put it down! The resilience of the human spirit is amazing to me, and illustrated so well in this book.

Nikki said...

I read this book in college for extra credit - it was the very best thing I got out of that class! I loved reading about history to which we "Westerners" don't normally get exposed. I loved it, especially the intricate way in which the 3 women's lives intersected and diverged. Definitely worth the almost 600 pages!