Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Left To Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza

Before I get going on my recommendation I have to let you know that I have a very hard time with memoirs. I always feel that I am getting a very slanted story. I simply have a hard time trusting the authors. I guess I am a pretty big skeptic. It seems the main characters are always the total victim or the total hero and I have a hard time buying their stories. But, with that said, this is a memoir I highly recommend. Imaculee's story, even if embellished, is one everyone should read. It will make you completely rethink your relationship with God, your faith, and most of all it will teach you how incredibly powerful the act of forgiveness can be. Immaculee is a woman who knows what it means to pray and to have perfect faith. She is a woman who truly has a personal relationship with God. I was afraid to read this book because it is about the Rwandan Genocide, but it was uplifting, not depressing and disturbing. Imaculee tells a powerful story and I think this is one of those books that leaves its mark. It is a must read.

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

I am a skeptic like you, Anna but I also really enjoyed this memior.

Holly said...

I agree, this book was so moving. I got goose bumps reading your summary today just thinking about this book which I read over 2 years ago. It was so powerful if you let it be.