Sunday, June 21, 2009

Love Walked In by Maria De Los Santos

What a good read. I finished this today and I really enjoyed it. It starts out as a romance story, but quickly progresses in a direction you would not expect. A young terrified girl tries her best to cope on her own as her mother slides into mental illness. A woman living in Philadelphia, managing a cafe, is sure she has met the man of her dreams when Martin walks into the cafe. He looks like Cary Grant, acts like Cary Grant, and is her ideal of perfection. Meeting him begins a chain of events that lead to love. Real true love. But not the real true love you would expect.
I loved the characters, I loved the story. It was touching and soulful.

4 comments:

Jennette said...

This is too funny that you just posted about this. I just finished reading this the other day. It's written by a woman who lives here in Wilmington, so we're reading it for my neighborhood book club.

However, I didn't seem to like it as much as you did. It was a good "summer" read if you need something on a plane or at the beach. But I got a little annoyed with what felt like trying-to-be-overly-interesting characters and that it was somewhat predictable.

Anna said...

Okay, I will give you that...the trying to be interesting characters and predictability, but for some reason it didn't bother me. I still enjoyed it. It is an easy read for sure, which was part of the enjoyment for me.

Mindi said...

I have not read this one, but read "Belong to me" which I am told has some of the same characters. I really enjoyed reading it, and have meant to pick this one up.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book. It was just something nice and light to sit down and read for a couple days. While predictable in the sense that you know what's going to happen a couple chapters ahead of time, I don't know that I could have predicted where it would end the moment I started reading it. I thought it was a sweet love story and enjoyed it, cover to cover!