Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The setting is the future ruins of North America. The population is divided into 12 districts and ruled by the Capitol. Each year the Capitol holds the Hunger Games requiring 2 youth from each district as tribute. These 24 kids are placed in an arena concocted by the Capitol. These gladiators must fight to the death because the Games end only when one survives. Sixteen year old Katniss volunteers as the female tribute from District 12 in place of her younger sister. A skilled hunter and tracker, she will need these traits to stay alive in an environment where even the elements are against you.
I thought this book was incredible! I read most of it in a single day (if you can count staying up until 3 am the next morning). The depth of the characters and the intense plot do not disappoint. Just a warning though, this is the first book in a trilogy so be prepared for a certain amount of plot to be unresolved. The next book, Catching Fire, comes out this September.

3 comments:

Mindi said...

I just finished reading this last night. It was a page turner for sure! A good portion of the book was very predictable, and I was frustrated at the end with so much unresolved until I realized there would be another book to follow. This would be a great book to take to the beach.

Rachel said...

That was a weird book. But I couldn't seem to put it down...I was glad that the two heros didn't have to fight each other.

Maren said...

I agree that it is a good vacation read. I liked it and am excited to read the next one when it comes out!